The estimator is responsible for compiling estimates of how much it will cost to provide a client or potential client with products or services. The candidate will report directly to the Bid Manager and will be responsible for working out how much a project is likely to cost and create budgets accordingly. The job involves assessing material, labour and equipment required and analysing different quotes from sub-contractors and suppliers.
The ideal candidate will have site experience, quantity surveying skills, commercial acumen and a mind capable of financial analysis. Maths and IT skills are important, as are a strong problem-solving ability and keen attention to detail. You will also need to be able to communicate well, both written and verbally, and be able to manage projects.
Predominantly the role will be based within the office but a high degree of flexibility will be required around the hours of work due to the pressure and fixed nature of deadlines for tender submissions.
- Attend project start up meetings and site visits
- Produce enquiry schedules from tender documentation
- Prepare sub contract packages
- Evaluate returned quotations from suppliers and sub contractors
- Prepare Bills of Quantities for projects on estimating programme
- Prepare commercial documents for handover to Bid Manager
- Ensure tenders are submitted completely and accurately and within the time scale provided
- Set a personal example with respect to good business practice
- Positive promotion of the Company to our existing Clients, new Clients and
- potential Clients as well as our peers within the construction industry.
- Any other responsibilities which we may reasonably ask you to undertake and
- which are appropriate to your position
Person / Job Specification
- HND or degree in civil engineering or evidence of equivalent job experience
- A relevant CSCS card would be an advantage
- An interest in Environmental Remediation technology
- Working knowledge of conditions of contract would be an advantage inc NEC
- Professional attitude as liaison with clients, suppliers and sub contractors is an important part of the job
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Good negotiation skills
- Ability to read and interpret different sources of written information including CAD file drawings etc..
- Effective in performing well under pressure
- Can become integrated into a highly experienced team
- Versatile and committed
- Computer literate, proficient in word processing and spreadsheets (Microsoft Word and Excel) and in the use of internet and e-mailing.
- In possession of full, valid driving licence
- Salary dependent on experience, plus a company car
The ideal candidate will have studied a BTEC HNC, HND or degree first in Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering or construction are all relevant subjects, and these courses cover contract tendering, estimating and buying.